Re: Somewhat OT: stuff I forgot to mention at the meeting

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 04:48:06AM -0800, Tom Dison wrote:
>> How's the Linux support on the laptop (video, sound, etc.)?
>
> I don't know what wireless chipset is in the thing, but everything
> else should Just Work.  I do have to admit that I've only booted
> Knoppix up for a minute...  I'll try to take a closer look as soon as
> I can though.

I have a different Acer model (TravelMate 4500 series) and almost
everything works. The wireless requires the ipw2200
drivers/firmware/modules. I cheat on that and use the fedora3 packages
from http://apt.atrpms.net/, but note that I don't mind the potential
problems of mixing apt repositories on my non-public machines. That's just
part of the fun.

The only thing that doesn't work yet is the built-in 3-in-one memory card
reader. I haven't tried the firewire port or the TV-out yet. Oh, I also
found that I had to play one dvd under windows before it would work in
linux--had to set the region on the drive.

One of the things I like is that a bunch of the ports are on the front. To
quote from the marketing text, the "Front-access ports and controls
intensify the bond between user and PC".

Erich