Only one CPU detected

With my laptop in the shop I can't search through all the past Red Hat
e-mail archives. So I'll put the question to this list....

I'm running RHEL3 Update 4 on a dual-Athlon MP system. Both processors are
detected by the BIOS, but the latest SMP version of the RHEL3u4 kernel
doesn't seem to be picking up the presence of the second processor at boot
time.  /proc/cpuinfo says there's only one CPU. Indeed, there's only one
Tux visible  in the early text phase of system startup when there should
be two.

Everything is up2date. Has anyone heard of a bug in recent RHEL3 2.4
kernels that could cause this?

--Doc