Re: a TAR question

You could try use the date command to give you numbers representing the
year, the day of the year and the hour/min/sec. For example to backup a
directory named 'pictures':

    tar cvf pictures-`date +%g%j-%H%M%S`.tar pictures

would produce a file named something like:

    pictures-05006-220130.tar

where the year is 2005 and the date is Jan 6 and the time is 10:01:30

--
Tom Conder                                       http://www.gazpacho.net/