Re: silug: Mozilla 1.7.3

On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 16:34 -0600, bentley_rhodes wrote:
> has anyone ever had trouble with Mozilla not taking your bookmarks?  i
> deleted mine and used a [ln -s] to another i have on my /dev/sda1
> (/Portney/Personal/Misc/) and it won't read it.  when i try to open it
> by right clicking on double clicking on it, it just tells me that i
> should get proper permissions or something, or that the file is not a
> mozilla bookmarks file, i should rename the file and try again.

Bentley,

The bookmarks file you link to must have the same ownership and
permissions as the one you deleted. On my system that file is in
my /home/doc/.mozilla/default/jvwksyaw.slt/ directory. Note that the
jvw... part of that directory name is a random 8-character string chosen
when I first started Mozilla.

-rw-------  1 doc doc   13210 Dec 27 06:07 bookmarks.html

Also, you'll want to upgrade from Mozilla v1.7.3 to v1.7.5 at your
earliest opportunity. This new release contains a few security fixes
plus hidden support for Microsoft's proprietary "document.all"
Javascript shortcuts. This will make a lot of formerly IE-only web sites
accessible by Mozilla. Not those employing ActiveX though.

There's a subversive element at mozdev.org working to implement ActiveX
support in Mozilla. Personally I think this is about as worthwhile as
emulating a hemmoroid in software, but that's just my opinion. ActiveX
controls can't be digitally signed or validated the way Java applets
can, so ActiveX support in a browser will always be an open invitation
to system compromise.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov