Tools and Techniques

I'm looking for recommendations, tutorials, and tools/languages to use
for developing applications that are web based -- the user need only
have a browser and permissions to use the application.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have on screen forms with text boxes,
check boxes, and radio button type elements. Drop down lists would be
nice but not absolutely necessary. Any libraries or frameworks based
on Perl, PHP, Python, HTML, etc. available that you can recommend?

Thanks,

Tim