Re: CVS alternatives

On Tuesday, Dec 7, 2004, at 07:34 US/Central, NZG wrote:
> But it keeps crashing, getting corrupted, losing it's permissions,
> it's been a
> real struggle for us to keep up and I can't help but wonder.

What version of CVS?  On what OS?  What hardware?  How many
modules/projects?  How many people?  How often do updates happen?  I
have to say this is the first I've heard of these kinds of issues with
CVS.  We've been running a CVS server for 3+ years without incident.
The only issues we have had are the limitations of CVS itself, which we
take care of by hand.

> If were getting into it at this stage of the game, should we maybe
> spend our
> time learning a newer, more flexible system?

Subversion is a newer, more flexible system.  However, I would be
concerned that the issues you have may not be with CVS but something
else, which means that you might experience those same issues even if
you use Subversion.

> What works best for you?

CVS.  Maybe eventually we'll migrate to Subversion.  But CVS does
everything we need pretty well.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent