Re: Red Hat and LPI Exam

On Thursday, Dec 2, 2004, at 11:00 US/Central, Daniel S wrote:
> My question is: has anyone taken the RH exams or the
> LPI exams and could ethicly comment on them?

Don't know anything about the LPI.  Kara would know much more about
that.  However, I did take the RHCE course and exam at RH HQs many
IT-years ago when only RHCE was offered.

> I don't want the awnsers just a quick overview of the testing
> procedure?

Answers wouldn't help anyways.  I took the course + exam.  Both were
intense but rewarding.

The course: four days.  Almost everyone in the course knew way more
than I did, which was great.  The material was covered in lightning
speed.  Lecture material was broken up by hands-on practicals and
plenty of time for Q & A.  Because of the rapid pace, I spent most of
the evening going over the material on my laptop back in the hotel room
with a couple of the other attendees.

The exam: one entire day.  Three parts: one written and two hands-on.
The written stuff is standard multiple choice-type questions that are
probably covered in the books.  I don't recall the hands-on parts too
much.  IIRC, the first hands-on part was to pick three out of five
problem types and solve them; something like "it don't work" and you
need to figure out what is wrong and fix it.  The second hands-on part
was installation, I think.  They gave the spec: a machine with these
partitions, quotas, these services, these users, yada, yada, yada, and
you built it.

Keep in mind, things may have changed since I took it.

> what kind've enviroment was the test taken in?

< 12 people, one machine per person.  Lunch provided.

> Also are they really worth taking?

Yes.  At least for me and my employer because I learned a lot.  Would I
take it again?  In a heart beat, but next time I would bring along lots
of business cards and get everyone's name and e-mail in order to keep
in touch.

HTH and good luck.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent