Suggestions for a Digital Camera under Linux

Hello all,

With Christmas just around the corner, I'm looking at some new toys. Of
course, being a Linux user, the kinds of hardware that I'm able to use are
sometimes limited, and almost always require a bit of extra hacking to get
them to function properly.

I'm curious, does anyone have any suggestions for digital cameras, hopefully
under $400, that work well with Linux? I'm not a professional photographer,
and don't presently have any intentions to pick it up as any more than even a
part-time hobby, so I don't need too many bells and whistles.

Also, I know that there are plenty of great GPL'd graphics editing programs;
like gimp, etc; but I'm curious if there are any nice workshops strictly for
photo editing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kris Kerwin