Re: USB v1 and v2 compatibility -- OHCI v. EHCI ...

On Sunday, Oct 31, 2004, at 13:58 US/Central, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> And if you are talking device-to-device, forget it, because USB cannot
> do it.  FireWire is like on-board intelligence Ultra80 SCSI, USB 2.0 is
> like old, pre-DMA Enhanced IDE (EIDE).

Unfortunately, my experience is that Linux has better support for USB2
than FireWire, but then we're still using the 2.4 kernel on our
servers. Anyone care to share experiences with the 2.6 kernel?

I've actually have very good luck with Knoppix 3.6 using the 2.6 kernel
on x86 hardware.  I've also had very good luck with the SystemRescueCD
on PPC hardware, again with the 2.6 kernel.  I have not installed any
linux systems with the 2.6 kernel, yet.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource.  Distribute FLOSS for
Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent