Re: wireless bridging with WRT54G routers

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> I have a client who needed to extend their network to a building next
> to them.  We now have it working with a couple of cheap Linksys WRT54G
> routers using the Sveasoft firmware.  (Now that we've figured it out,
> I could almost certainly get it working with OpenWRT also, but the
> Sveasoft firmware has a nice web interface...)
>
> So the setup looks something like this:
>
>       LAN
>    +--------+
>    | WRT54G |
>    +--------+
>
>    +--------+
>    | WRT54G |
>    +--------+
>       LAN
>
> Next we're going to try to get this working over a bit more of a
> distance.  :-)

The upshot to doing this is that you don't have to worry about electricity
being induced on the lines between the two buildings (ie, lightning
strike).  I had a friend that said their school ran Cat5 down an awning
between two buildings.  While lightning did not strike the building, it
induced enough current during a storm to blow out two 3Com switches and
every NIC connected to them.  At that point they decided fiber between the
two points was probably a good idea.  Given how how cheap both the 802.11
stuff and or fiber and adapters (especially if 10 base will cut it) can be
had it's good insurance.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's