Re: Knoppix, wifi, tests

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 14:01, Robert Citek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I went to Office Depot and bought three different wifi cards to test
> with Knoppix 3.6 on an IBM X20 laptop:
>
>    D-Link 802.11b DWL-650
>    Linksys 802.11b WPC11 v4
>    Linksys 802.11g WPC54G v2
>
> None of them worked with Koppix 3.6.  The only card that has
> consistently worked well with Knoppix 3.6 is a Netgear 802.11b MA401.
> Should the above cards have worked, and if so, how?
>
> Will try a few other brand.  I'm keeping track on this wiki page:
>
>    http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?WiFi
>
> Feel free to add you own experiences.

Robert,

The only 802.11b card I've had consistent success with under RH9 and FC1
has been my trusty Orinoco Gold card.

Based on my experiences with the D-Link and their DWL-A650 802.11a card,
I heartily wish D-Link an early bankruptcy and permanent residency in
the lower regions. Their tech support people strung me along for more
than a year waiting for Linux drivers, then told me "Absolutely NEVER".
They rewarded my patience by refusing to refund my purchase price or to
exchange it for a supported card. As far as I'm concerned, D-Link is
D-worst.

On the other hand, I've had fairly good luck with Linksys stuff in
general. I especially like their Linux-based Wireless-G broadband
router. But I wander off topic.... :-)

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov