Re: Recording Web Radio?

On 14 Aug 2004, Brandon Joseph Adams wrote:
>> I have an older pc running W2K that I would like to switch
>> to linux but I have one app that I am not sure how to
>> replace.  I use a program called ReplayRadio [...} that
>> lets me record web radio to mp3 at preset times.  Sort of
>> like a vcr for web radio.
>>
>> I record a morning and afternoon drive show from a local
>> radio station that also web casts
>>
>> Is there anyway to easily accomplish the same thing under
>> linux?
>
> this is relatively easy under Linux or anything else that
> supports XMMS.  Just open up the shoutcast/icecast/whatever
> else you have a plugin for in xmms/etc in xmms (www.xmms.org,
> if it isn't already installed (probably as default) in your
> distro)), open up preferences, highlight mp3 and click
> configure. Choose "save streams to disk" and pick a location
> to save them to.

Not usually included with xmms, but available via the above
url and likely to prove useful to this purpose is the "xmms
alarm" plugin.  Designed for using xmms as clock radio alarm,
it permits you to specify what time to initiate the current
playlist and how long afterwards to terminate play.  This
will spare you the otherwise suggested editing by capturing
only the hours of your program.

You might be interested to note that gnome's volume control
panel has a radio button under main volume labeled "rec."
When activated, regardless the original format, any audio
you can play through your speakers can be captured to disc
with your choice of recording applications.  I'd recommend
experimenting first with one offering graphical indication
of incoming recording levels; Audacity is among the better.