Re: Messaging system & support

Try Novell. They offer 24/7/365 support if you pay for it and they'll find
their way to anywhere on the globe. Besides, its their product. As far as
an integrated, supported solution, have you looked at Novell Groupwise?
The demonstration they give on their website (free email) is pretty good,
and it'll run on Novell, Windows, Solaris, or Linux (RHEL or SuSE I
believe). Their eDirectory is also slick. Again, the server will run on
most major servers.

No, I don't work for Novell, but they're the name that seems to come up a
lot for a supported solution. IBM might be someone else to look at, but I
don't know how well Domino is doing. Realistically, a traditional unix
setup using linux with postfix et all, ldap, and kerberos would work just
as well, would be very compatible, and I'm sure kspei (or a multitude of
other people) could support that. Plus, you could run Solaris, Mandrake,
RedHat Enterprise, or SuSE OpenServer and get full 24/7/365 support with
default software. I think even Apple's Xserves and Mac OS X Server have
this software and all of them support GUI configuration and maintainence
if you need that sort of thing.

I peronally have an imap/postfix/ldap/kerberos network at my house and in
my VPN. Talk to Steve about getting something like that setup on Fedora or
RHEL.

brandon, from Flint, MI

> Hello all,
>
> I got this message from a friend.
>
> On Thursday, Aug 12, 2004, at 10:06 US/Central, [a friend] wrote:
>> I'm managing a project here at [some company] to replace our email
>> system from the current unix-based sendmail/smtp/pop3 setup with
>> Eudora clients to something else--whatever that turns out to be.  We
>> have people demanding built-in calendaring and while they could use
>> Outlook as a client with our current server offerings, the calendaring
>> won't be as nice as if we had an Exchange Server behind it.
>>
>> I have no problem finding people to install and support Exchange, but
>> I'm trying to present alternatives as well.  The leader seems to be
>> SuSE Linux's Openexchange Server (now owned by Novell).  But I don't
>> know who could support us on that locally.
>>
>> Do you know of any companies that could give us really good support on
>> whatever system we choose, even up to 24/7/365 if we want to pay for
>> that?
>
> Any ideas?  Specifically:
>   - What other products offer built-in (or nearly built-in) Calendaring?
>   - Any opinions on SLOX?
>   - Is there any reason not to use Exchange?
>   - What other questions should my friend be asking?
>
> Regards,
> - Robert

Brandon Joseph Adams
bja@illinois.dyndns.org