Re: FOSS, Gentoo, OS X

> OpenSource via the Gentoo portage system on OS X.
>
> "Almost exactly one year after the idea of porting Portage to MacOS X
> came up - and the joint Metapkg initiative between Fink, Darwinports
> and Gentoo took off - a 20-head-strong developer team around Pieter van
> den Abeele (strategic lead) and Daniel Ostrow (operational) is now
> ready to release an extraordinary beast into the wild: Gentoo MacOS.
> They deliver on a promise no other Linux distribution has been daring
> enough to make yet: Portage on MacOS is now fully operational,
> seamlessly integrated as a package manager in a non-Linux operating
> system."
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/current.xml
>
> What's next?  Portage on Windows?  Hmmm ...

Possible. Services for Unix, aka the OpenBSD userland, is very complete.
If portage is written with portability in mind, or rewritten if need be,
it could be more portable than pkgsrc, which I've mentioned on the list
and does the same thing. Portage uses python. pkgsrc uses a modified bsd
make. If I had a choice, I'd probably take pkgsrc at this point due to it
supporting more platforms that I use, but if Portage has even half as many
advantages as pkgsrc, then it might be interesting to try setting it up in
addition to fink.

Brandon Joseph Adams
bja@illinois.dyndns.org