Re: LPI and Distros...

My apologies if this list has been answered already, but I'm behind :)

http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html
http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_102.html

> Next, what study materials do you recommend? I've only seen a "Bible"
> book at my local bookstore, but I didn't like it that much. Plus there
> only seems to be books on the level one exams...

Indeed, Level 2 books are only beginning to surface (finally).  If you
review the objectives, you can supplement your studies with whatever
titles you prefer, or use an existing LPI book.  Check LPI's website for a
list.  If you use a book, such as the ORA one, read it in the order of the
LPI objectives, as they have been re-ordered.  Also, you'll need to
supplement your studies with the updates, but those should be obvious.

> Finally, I noticed that LPI is distro independent, which I think is very
> admirable. My question is, what distro should I use to study that is the
> most "standardized?" I use Mandrake right now, but I think I am growing

You should be able to prepare using any distro that uses RPM or DPKG
package management.  Beyond your choice of one of those two package
managers, the rest -should- be supported on all distributions that meet
the LSB standard.

> sounds pretty good. I understand that this is supposed to be a Red Hat
> list serve, so if you want to email me off list, that would be fine.
> Regardless, any suggestions about distros or LPI in general would be
> greatly appreciated.

I don't know why you think this is a RH list-serv.  We have a number of
different users here, including RH, SuSE, Mandrake, etc.  There is no
exclusivity, though if you're using a distro for the wrong reasons, there
are people here happy to clear up that mistake for you :)

> Also, I have been thinking about using Slackware as a server distro, I
> have read many sparkling reviews for Slackware in the server department.
> Anyone have some comments or suggestions?

Haven't heard of any of those sparkling reviews myself :)

-Kara (one of the less fanatical opinion-staters on the list)

President, K&S Pritchard Inc.		kara@kspei.com
Southern Illinois Linux Users Group	www.silug.org