Re: LPI and Distros...

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 11:32, Ken Keefe wrote:
> Finally, I noticed that LPI is distro independent, which I think is very
> admirable. My question is, what distro should I use to study that is the
> most "standardized?" I use Mandrake right now, but I think I am growing
> out of it. In Mandrake, I have been doing my best to move away from
> "Mandrake" tools and especially graphical tools, but a lot of the time I
> don't know if something is only in Mandrake or standard to Linux
> (example: the "service" command I thought was standard, but I don't
> think it is.) I have been reading a little bit about Gentoo and that
> sounds pretty good. I understand that this is supposed to be a Red Hat
> list serve, so if you want to email me off list, that would be fine.
> Regardless, any suggestions about distros or LPI in general would be
> greatly appreciated.

I'll chime in on this one...

Ken, my suggestions for the distro of choice would actually be to
research the distros used by or recommended by the major players.
Meaning, check out what distros IBM, HP, DELL, etc. are pushing in the
server world and then in the desktop world. The latter won't be that
much of an issue, being that it's not being pushed as fast as the
servers are, however, it's a good idea/practice to chose a distro that's
the same base as the servers--Xandros for desktops and Debian on the
servers... or Fedora on the desktops and RHEL on the servers...

The reasoning behind this, is the fundamental reason behind getting your
LPI certification--using it professionally. If you will be going
professional with your Linux skills, you should target what's being used
in the professional world. Sure you could use Slackware, but in the
professional world, it's usage is probably very small. I know that the
very nature of Linux has led to tons of different distributions, but the
reality of it is fairly simple--learn what your most likely to find on
the job. (this way, you won't have to "re-learn" once you get the job)

Hope that helps!
--
Travis Owens <openbook@linuxmds.com>