Re: Where did my disk space go?

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:01:40PM -0500, Charlie Brune wrote:
> Since my "/chas" filesystem is just a place to store data, is there really
> any need to reserve *any* space at all?  With 200GB, I'd like to think
> that root could find a little room. 8-)

I would reserve a tiny bit, just for safety.  (Even if it is only a
couple of blocks.)

As I understand it, the main reason for that safety net was so root
could allocate space no matter what for things like /lost+found.
Also, if you have no free space, the kernel can't do it's
fragmentation-avoiding magic.  On top of all that, I've heard that
ext3 *really* doesn't like it when you totally run out of disk space.

So if you do "tune2fs -r 1024 /dev/whatever", you'll reserve 4MB on
the filesystem.  I hardly think you'd notice 4MB missing.  :-)

Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve@kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/
Phone: (618)398-7360               Mobile: (618)567-7320