Re: So, what steps do the normal folks take to secure themselves?

Hi Phil,

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:33:23 -0500 UTC (6/16/2004, 2:33 PM -0500 UTC my
time), Phil Schaefer wrote:

P> Well I am a total newb to linux and haven't really used it much.  I joined
P> this list just so I could expose myself to some more linux news as I prepare
P> to delve into this a little more.

Welcome <g>

P> At any rate I have seen that F-Prot has a linux version out there
P> (www.f-prot.com) I am curious if anyone has used it. I have used the dos
P> version for a few years to scan fat32 partitions for viruses and it was
P> very successful. Don't know if that carries over to the other versions as
P> well. Just something to check out I guess.

I use it on several servers, both Linux and FreeBSD, and it is terrific,
although currently I have my mail servers reject all M$ exe content and
worms at the SMTP negotiation phase, so they are rejected before getting
into the sytem. F-Prot is free for personal use, and comes with a great
script to use with cron for daily updates automatically.

--
Gary