Re: MySQL / Perl / Apache

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 03:08:42PM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> Yes.  You can have FTP access without shell access.  In fact, you can
> easily maintain cgi/html files without using a shell by using FTP or
> WebDAV.

That reminds me...  I just set up WebDAV for the first time the other
day...  That's some pretty nifty stuff.  :-)

If anyone needs to set it up, something like this is all you (should)
need to do (in either httpd.conf or /etc/httpd/conf.d/webdav.conf for
RH8+):

<Directory "/var/www/html">
  DAV On
  AllowOverride None
  Options None
  <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
    Require user webadmin
    AuthName "Document Root"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /var/www/passwd
  </Limit>
</Directory>

Then do "htpasswd -c /var/www/passwd webadmin".  At that point, make
sure the apache user can read (but not write) /var/www/passwd and can
read/write /var/www/html, restart apache, and everything should work
(assuming apache has mod_dav turned on, of course).

You can easily test the server by pointing cadaver
(http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/) at it.  Current versions of all the
Windows "web design" tools (Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc.) should work
too.