Re: Mandrake 10.0 hardware problems.

>From: "John Rathmann" <tophat39@charter.net>
>
>Thanks for the quick response, Casey!
>
>I'm completely lost!  I really need to know the relationships and commands
>that tell Linux what hardware it has and if it is operating, and so forth.
>If I can't diagnose what's wrong, how can I fix it?
>
>     Hardware ---> Config Statements ---> Mount Statements ---> Software
>packages used for the hardware ???
>
>How can I learn what device type and name Linux uses for the different
>devices (hda1 for HDD, etc.)?  Where is the naming convention documented,
>so I can print out the page(s) I need?

well the general rule of thumb is that /dev/hd? are ide devices.  hda is the
master drive on the primary ide port.  hdb is the slave drive on that same
port.  hdc is the master on the secondary ide port.  hdd is the slave on
that port.... etc......

i am at work, cant really go more in depth right now, but later tonight i
will.

most of what i learned i learned from books, google searches, and asking
questions on this and other similar lists.

i would highly recommend finding a book on mandrake 10 and buying it to
read.  i have bought several for different versions of redhat i have used
and ran accross some old bargain bin books on ancient unix dialects, and
they have helped me out quite a bit.

>If I knew all of the CLI (konsole) commands to
>add-change-delete-mount-unmount hardware devices (a "set" of commands in
>logical order for each device type, it would help - where can I find such
>information?
>
>There's got to be a concise "hardware install" primer out there somewhere,
>right?  A "step-by-step" HOWTO for each device type (with the CLI commands)
>would be appreciated.
>
>Since my original post, I have discovered that my SB Live! Value soundcard
>also does not work at all in Linux.  I have the correct drivers from
>Creative Labs - Mandrake 10 loaded them at install time, but, again,
>something seems to be missing.

it might be ok but the volume might be all the way down.  look for a volume
control mixer type applet that has more than just a single slider.