Re: Linux distributions for PPC?

Hi,
  I've been using YellowDog 3 for a couple of months on an old (1999)
powerbook. I almost can't tell it from my Redhat installations. I think
that it supports airport just fine, although my powerbook is too old to
have one. I have no problem with the Orinoco card. Actually one problem in
setting it up--the pcmcia scripts that come with the distribution are
slightly wrong, so you have to do a bit of editing.

  The next release of Yellowdog will actually be fedora for the PPC. They
say that they are close to getting it to final, although I'm confused as
to whether they are working on core 1 or 2. YDL 3.x is equivilant to RH 9.

  You might want to look at the faq-howtos that are on the yellowdog site.
I know that there are some gotchas with some OSX versions (maybe just with
upgrades). I'd haven't dealt with them as I don't dual boot.

  One thing that you'll find if you use yellowdog, "rpmbuild --rebuild" is
your friend. Third-party software is often not available in binary ppc
rpms, but if a source rpm exisits then you are likely to be in luck.

  Also, freshrpms.net maintains an apt repository for yellowdog (yum too,
of course) so updates are easy ('though rare).

Erich

On Sun, 23 May 2004 bja@Illinois.DynDNS.Org wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Linux distributions for PPC? I was
> wanting to dual-boot because after some use, OS X still seems odd. I've
> looked at Fedora's PPC offering but it still hasn't been released and
> there haven't been very many messages on their mailing list. Any
> experience with Yellow Dog Linux or Debian for PPC? I like *BSD but I've
> ruled them out for the moment as their hardware support is basically
> non-existant (FreeBSD won't even boot multiuser yet, at least not that I
> could find). I might give Darwin a try in a dual-boot.
>
> Last, does anyone know of drivers for my integrated AirportExtreme
> wireless card?
>
> Brandon, going through virtual console withdrawal.

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/