interesting behavior, evolution 1.4

I just started using version 1.4 of evolution and was a bit startled by
a new feature (what I am assuming is a new feature).  I went to send a message
to an email address someone had given me and was getting an error of "mailbox
unavailable" in a little error window and it wouldn't send the message.  Well
I kept looking at this as if it were telling me that my smtp server was not
allowing me to send from my mailbox (i have smtp auth setup so you have to
log in to send email).  Finally I gave up and sent the mail using thunderbird
thinking that something in evolution was screwed up.  Twenty seconds later I
get a bounce message from postfix telling me, in a little more detail, that
the mailbox was unavailable from the domain I was sending to.  To my shock
it suddenly occured to me that evolution was now smart enough to actually talk
directly to postfix and report the error without ever sending the message!
So I start wondering about this and I do a little test on my own domain to
see if it will error on an unknown user.  It sent the message and then bounced
like I would expect.  Now I'm at a bit of a loss, could someone tell me if
this is some new push in the mail client world to start reporting errors
outside of the "bounce" system and is just starting with the 550 error or
what.

Bob The curios Kat