Re: my experience upgrading to Fedora Core 2

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> The touchpad didn't work correctly after the upgrade.

	On my Dell laptop, this wasn't an issue.  So YMMV depending on the
type of laptop/touchpad in use.

	I did upgrades yesterday on both my desktop and laptop.  I ran
into problems with both.

	On my desktop, the upgrade didn't handle my software RAID setup
very well with respect to grub.conf.  The machine was unbootable, but I
used the rescue feature on the install DVD (finally!), and was able to
repair it by hand.

	On both my laptop and desktop machine (both P4s), the kernel
installed by FC2 seemed flaky.  I downloaded 2.6.6 from kernel.org, copied
over the config from the installed kernel, compiled, and rebooted.  This
improved things noticeably, particularly with regard to the NVIDIA driver
(5336), which would hang the machine on the 2.6.5 kernel.

A couple of side notes on the kernel stuff, copying over the config from
2.6.5 -> 2.6.6 doesn't work exactly as it should, so you might be missing
some modules (in my case, firewire was missing).  Also, the difference in
size between the /lib/modules/* directories was enormous:

[root@rfifarek root]# du -sh /lib/modules/*
2.8M    /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358
330M    /lib/modules/2.6.6

even though I supposedly used the same config file for the kernel build.
I haven't had a chance to figure out why, will update you if/when I do.
This burned me because my root partition is small (500MB) since I have
everything else mounted on other partitions.

--
Richard H. Fifarek
rfifarek@fifarek.net