Laptop Recommendations?

I'll be going off to school next year and am looking for laptop
recommendations. Basically, my only requirements are that it support some
type of functional UNIX or a compatible system and do it in a completely
native way (no loading windows drivers through a compat layer; that scares
the crap out of me) (excluding the 56k modem which is almost never
supported and I don't plan on using it anyway) and it cost $2,000 or less.
I've been looking at the 12.1" Apple Powerbook with 768Mb of RAM, Airport
Extreme (802.11g), and iSight. Any equivilents in x86 land?

I don't know if I want to use a Mac because I've grown very used to my
customized KDE with Kontact, Konqueror, Karamba, etc and it seems like a
waste to buy a Mac and not use OS X (and Yellow Dog doesn't seem to
support the latest generation of Powerbooks).

Thanks in advance,

Brandon Adams
Fresh I, Kettering University
bja@metawire.org