Help a sshd newbie!

I am starting to explore the server sides of linux. I just installed
Mandrake 10.0 on a machine that I hope to be a webserver among other
things. I set the security level to "Higher" which is only one level
down from the strictest security setting. I have opened up only two
services in Shorewall (mandrake's firewall), Web and SSH.

I would like to do an ssh from my laptop to this system. However
whenever I ssh the system, I get:

I went to the server itself and tried to ssh itself. It worked when I
used 127.0.0.1, but not when I tried the IP of the ethernet card,
192.168.1.29. When I tried the IP of eth0, I got the same message of
Connection closed by remote host.

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time,
Ken Keefe

PS, I am not sure if this info helps, but I was able to connect to the
Apache server from my laptop. It seems to only be blocking ssh
connections.