Re: upgrading to Fedora Core 1 with apt

my promise ata100 card screws up under the 2.6 kernel, the hard drives it is
attached to timeout according to the errors (and somehow this manages to
bring the entire system to a grinding halt despite the fact that the boot
drive is not on the promise controller, only a pair of drives for pure data
storage.)

basically it tells me that one drive timed out and that it is resetting the
bus.... then the other drive (2 drives, one on each ide port as master)
times out and the bus supposedly gets reset.  within 10 minutes the entire
system either panics with an error message to the monitor OR it just locks
up cold.

had to go back to 2.4 on my file server and now it is rock solid like it
should be.

i would use another brand (such as 3ware, everyone has to love 3ware)

as for the raid, it is possible to mount that raid array under linux via
software raid support, but it is a complete pain because of all the trial
and error you have to do on figuring out the exact settings you need.  raid
1 shouldnt be too bad, it is a mirror after all, raid 0 is a touch harder.
if it is raid5 i would back your stuff up and format the drives ;}  might
save you from slamming your head into a brick wall repeatedly.