Re: cgi-bin

There's not much consistency here.  Usually, cgi-bin
is put in the same directory as htdocs.  Lately, I
have seen this in...

/srv/www
/usr/local/apache

...and other places.  The location is specified in an
Apache configuration file.  I have seen this in...

/etc/httpd/httpd.conf
/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

... and other places.

When you installed Apache, these directories were probably
created for you.  You just have to find them.  (htdocs is
typically where the .html files are kept.)

public_html you have to create, yourself, in your
home directory.  httpd.conf has to be set up to
allow access to public_html.

It is generally not a good idea to set up cgi-bin directories
all over the place because of security reasons.  For good
paranoi, use just one cgi-bin directory and keep all of your
Perl CGI code in that one directory.

Open and look at httpd.conf to see how to use httpd.conf.
The instructions are typically intermixed with the code.

--Chet