Re: [OT] using PS/2 keybd/mouse on an old Ultra1

Quoting Doug Simmons <dsimmons@lib.siu.edu>:
> I have seen some conversion devices out there for $75-$150, but is there a
> better (cheaper) option, or some equipment some of you are not using and
> would part with inexpensively? Naturally, I have a PS/2 KVM, and want to
> ditch the SUN keyboard/mouse...
>
> Thanks,
> Doug Simmons

My experience with the old Suns with the proprietary keyboard/mouse thing is
that, to get them to boot properly and give you a console, you either need the
adapter or you have to use a serial console.  They also tended to not recognize
keyboards/mice plugged in after they booted.  We were using the Enterprise
(3500, I think) but we ended up putting the keyboard adapters on.  If you are
just using it as a server and don't need any fancy console, you might consider
just plugging the serial port to another box and using that as console.  Just a
thought.

Ken Hagan
Technology Consultant
Alacrity-IT, Inc