Free Windows or Open Source UN*X? -- Risk Mitigation, notRevolutary Migration

I'm going to top-post here.

First off, I'll state the obvious:
   People run apps, not OSes.

That means "Windows" is _not_ the issue.
Applications _are_ the issue.

Secondly, a problem is that people think there are only 2 types of
applications:  Open Source and Proprietary.
They associate Open Source with Linux, and Proprietary with Windows.

Now as Robert pointed out, there _are_ Open Source applications for
Windows.  Not only do most people not consider that, they don't even
consider the fact that their _are_other_ applciations for Windows
besides just those from Microsoft.

Heck, there's not one month that goes by where there is a review that
says, "yes, application X is innovative and more featured, but it
does not solve the problem with Microsoft file format compatibility."

The problem with Microsoft file format compatibility is that people
keep upgrading.  When people don't, Microsoft changes its licenses
so they will.  You see, Microsoft has found that most consumers
people want "free" not "freedom" -- although it's more because
they do not understand what "freedom" is, let alone know about it.

Another problem is that "freedom" is what Stallman likes to talk about.
Worse yet, he calls it "Free Software" and talks about "not Free
Software."  I don't like to confuse people, especially business people.

Put it into terms _they_ can understand:  "Risk" and "Risk Mitigation"

That's why I wrote my article:
"Risk Mitigation, Not Revolutionary Migration"
http://www.smithdot.net/display.php?category=freedom&article=hostageware.txt

There is nothing wrong with running Open Source, Standardware or even
Commerceware on Windows.  Hostageware is to be avoided, for a company's
own sake.

Running such on Windows means they (i.e. their DATA) will be far more
ready to move off of Windows if and when they do so.  It also means they
can learn these new applications on a familiar platform, without having
to deal with the other aspects of moving off of Windows (new desktop,
hardware incompatibilities, new security concepts, etc...).

Just my $0.02 ...

-- Bryan

From: Robert Citek [mailto:rwcitek@alum.calberkeley.org]

From: "Drews, Jonathan*" <DrewsJ@cder.fda.gov>

From: Robert Citek <rwcitek@alum.calberkeley.org>

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org