Re: Best 3D card under (Gentoo) Linux?

Honestly the best cards are Nvidia based cards.

  Ati drivers to put it mildly are horrible.  Open source yes, but ati
doesn't seem to give a crap about the drivers actually working.  After
many hours of headache, you'll end up buying a nvidia anyway, just so
you can have Gl support.

  Any nvidia based card works right after installing the drivers.  All
you do is change 1 item in a pre-existing x config  Driver=" "    to
Driver="nvidia"   and bam, you are done, and on your way.  And they work
wonderfully.

   Another of the major complaints is,  the ATI drivers don't even
support a few of the major ATI proprietary GL functions that the card is
capable of.  This causes problems for games like Neverwinter Nights that
rely on the capabilities of the card to do things.

   Save yourself time and money.  nvidia is linux's best option.  Ati
benchmarks, and even the "better image quality" that so many claim ati
has,  just doesn't make up for the never ending headache you will have.

p.s.  Do NOT use any framebuffer built into the kernel, when you get a
GL based card with GL drivers.  They will conflict, and you will have
many lockups. (rivafb, or atifb modules).  You CAN include VGA VESA
support,  just not the actual FB driver modules.