Re: Perl Book

> What is a good book to learn Perl from?  I want to learn it for system
> administration scripting

You're better off learning about the actual programming language most sysadm
scripting is done in - the *shell*.

There are quite a few of those around - Essential SysAdmin, etc.

After that, there's awk and sed. Perl is like all of them rolled into one, but
that makes it more complex than the others.

That's why it's the Swiss Army Chainsaw of system administration.

For Perl books, I used to point to the Llama book (Randy Schwarz' book). But
I've learned to think that "Elements of Programming with Perl" by Andrew L. Johnson
( http://www.manning.com/johnson ) is a better choice.

If you want to go Object Oriented, Damien Conway's book is the best around.

However, for your needs, you might want to check out: Perl for System
Administration. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlsysadm/

Mike/