Re: Perl Book

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Ray Holtz wrote:

> Ok I know i just need to ask one man this question, but I thought I'd throw
> it out to everyone.
> What is a good book to learn Perl from?  I want to learn it for system
> administration scripting, like vbscript (yes shudder if you want to) is for
> windows.  I am a still a beginner for programming.  Any suggestions?

Learning Perl (aka Llama) by Schwartz and Christiansen is the best place
to start.  Camel is a good reference for those times Llama falls short.

You should really look into some of the shell scripting books though for
admin work.  Something on Bash and CSH/TCSH would not hurt.

As some people like to say, Perl is the Swiss Army Chainsaw for scripting.
I'm inclined to agree though I've found it just as much fun learning how
to chain stuff together with pipes, awk, xargs, and grep for starters.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's