Re: Sendmail

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Ray Holtz wrote:

> How robust is Sendmail?  can it handle daily mail requirements for 500+
> employees?

Well, it handles 12,000+ employees split across 3-4 servers on a daily
basis at my office.  They're getting ready to up that to 8 though because
they're putting some antivirus and spam detection software on the servers
(right now antivirus is handled and via an external server(s)).

So yes, it should be more than enough.  As someone pointed out, with some
tweaking.

> Also, what is the Opensource replacement for MS Exchange?  I've heard it in
> the past but have forgotten.

Novell had something IIRC and there are several others.  I'd take a look
at Freshmeat.net to see what might be available.

> I'm helping a friend try to get his company to "upgrade" to some Linux
> servers

Well, if they're already smoking the exchange pipe then it's going to be
tough.  On the other hand if they're not using the "features" of exchange
it might be a little bit easier.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's