Re: Linux filesystems

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 Roger_Hill@May-Co.com wrote:

> A question was posed to me the other day about filesystems.
>
> Which type of filesystems are better ? Windows NTFS or Linux's ?

Depends on what file system you want to use under Linux, where you
actually have a choice.  Oh yeah, you can use FAT32 under NT but then you
lose the ACL support as I recall.

> Someone (a Windows NT person) stated that NTFS is a much more
> secure file system,

That's relative.  The underlying OS is full of holes.  In addition, those
ACL's are not doing a lick of good if the various virii can make critical
changes or better yet wipe important parts of the OS or harddrive.  It's
nothing an rm -rf * cannot do with root but at least from the user
perspective if they don't have root they cannot do too much damage.

> has more control (ACL's) I thought Linux also had an ACL function for
> it's filesystems.

My limited experience with NT ACL's is that they're a pain in the rear and
don't work as advertised.  I still maintain that Novell has ACL's right
depsite everything else they have wrong.  However, the Netware FS is
supposedly being ported to Linux (if they've not announced that yet) and
that should give Linux the ACL stuff it really needs.  XFS supports ACL's,
unfortunately I'm not aware of what else may or may not support ACL's.
I've not played with ACL's under linux in part because I've not had a
reason to.  While I'm leery about the NetwareFS after talking with one of
their engineers they're bringing quite a bit to the table.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's