Fedora Core 1 (was Re: review of Gentoo)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:15:45PM -0600, Ray Lewis wrote:
> On that note, can I safely upgrade from Red Hat 9 to Fedora Core 1.

I've upgraded almost all of my systems from 7.3, 8.0, or 9 to FC1 with
absolutely no problems.

> I have been running Red Hat 9 for awhile and am happy with it.
> However, I have been wanting to upgrade my laptop to Red Hat 10 (grin
> Fedora) but the upgrade from the CD failed.

Interesting.  What was the error?  Are you sure you had a good CD?

I haven't had a single upgrade fail so far.

> Should I use apt or yum?

apt.  yum sucks.  (It's slow, and it wants to download 10 times as
much data in order to function.)

If you decide to upgrade from RH9 to FC1 with apt, let me know, and
I'll get you some updated instructions.

> My install is fairly generic but I have upgraded evolution and
> installed a few packages.

Upgraded from Ximian, perhaps?  That's known to have issues.  (Ximian
doesn't bother to keep their package naming consistent with Red
Hat's.)

The simplest way to solve that problem is either to remove all the
Ximian packages from your system before upgrading, or to downgrade to
the Red Hat packages.  The downgrade is pretty easy with apt.  Just
put the following in /etc/apt/preferences:

  Package: *
  Pin: release c=os
  Pin-Priority: 1001

Then "apt-get dist-upgrade", and apt should offer to remove the Ximian
packages and install the equivalent Red Hat packages.