Re: /. article clarification -- the author's point was rather

> "What Linux can learn from Windows" -
> http://news.com.com/2010-7355-5172209.html?tag=nefd_gutspro
> Could someone please help me understand what this guy is trying to
> say?

He doesn't know.  Honestly, he doesn't know.

He's also got his facts messed up.  XP SP2 took over 6 months.
Yes, Microsoft finally change to a "off by default" attitude
after Blaster.  And that's good, but that's what is _expected_
in _all_ Linux distros -- and has been since 1998-1999.

As far as the "ActiveX" control -- I think the author is
rather _naive_ on what ActiveX is.  It's _not_ ideal.

And trying to compare Nmap, Tripwire and/or Nessus to this
basic "ActiveX" control is trying to compare a powertool to
a hammer.

Linux _does_ have similar configuration utilities -- netstat
for one.  It will show services and their open connections.
_Many_ distros have GUI tools that "pretty up" its output.
And then a "control panel" where you can control services.

What I think the author wants is a way to "tame" the Linux
"powertools."  You can't, you just have to know how they work.

I don't think he realizes that Windows comes with _no_
_equivalents_ to these built-in Linux powertools.  But at the
same time, Linux _does_ come with the "basic" tools as well.

He just doesn't recognize them, because he is ignorant of them.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org