Re: Xandros -- this is why I HATE these discussions ...

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 19:30, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> Just filling in your blank, Mike.
> --Doc

Thank you Doc.

This is why I _hate_ these discussions.  They break down into
meta-discusses that are argumentative.

Someone says "Linux doesn't do this" and I answer.
Then someone says "that's not a good answer based on this [conflicting]
criteria," etc...

Where does it end?

Guys, focus on the _business_ end right now, beyond just hosting.

Linux started taking over much of electrical and mechanical engineering
segments about 5 years ago (hence why Dell was forced by Intel to offer
Linux, as previously discussed).  Linux then moved into the financial
sector.  Linux has sinced moved into the mainstream enterprise data
closet, with over 70% of companies adopting Linux beyond just the web
front nowdays.

2004 is the year the Linux desktop hits a significant number of
corporate desktops.  As I mentioned before, the more Linux is adopted by
enterprises, the more home users will consider at least "dual-booting"
at home so they can work at home.

And if not, say because they use OpenOffice on Linux at work, so they
can use OpenOffice on Windows at home, is there _anything_ wrong with
that?  People use _applications_, _not_ OSes!  Just getting off
"Hostageware" is 99% of the battle.  The underlying OS matters little in
the end, it's their _data_ that is the key!

Because if they move their data off of Hostageware, then they can move
to _any_ OS that can access it -- instead of just one.  That's why I am
_not_ a big proponent of WINE.  If you run MS Office, it makes little
sense to run any other OS than Windows.  Run the OS that best runs your
applications.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org