Re: barriers to adopting Linux by newbies

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 15:06, Robert Citek wrote:
> Apple's Mac with OS X is just as simple (substitute .Mac or Earthlink
> for MSN.)  In short, Windows and Apple have made it super simple to get
> a Windows or Mac OS X machine connected to the Internet.  Contrast that
> with getting onto the internet using Linux or *BSD.

The real question to be asked is: Does this target audience want an Open
Source UNIX system or do they want a free version of Windows? By that, I
mean that connecting to the ineternet is the easy part. It's setting up
the firewall that is a real headache in Linux. I agree with Brandon that
ipfw and ipf are a lot easier than the ip chains in Linux. So the
question is how do we make the linux firewall setup easy to do? Never
mind the dial out.