Re: barriers to adopting Linux by newbies

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 00:31, Robert Citek wrote:
> Almost.  I couldn't find it at OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, nor BestBuy the
> last time I checked.  Could be they sold out.  All three did have
> Windows XP.

Microsoft controls distribution at Best Buy, so you won't find it there.

However, my local Staples and OfficeMax (less than 2 miles away) have
it.  My two local CompUSAs (within 25 miles) have it as well.

> I agree that MS plays dirty.  But having Windows pre-installed is still
> a barrier to adoption.

Of course.  But tier-1 OEMs aren't about to upset Microsoft or otherwise
they will lose those R&D dollars.

> Sorry.  My bad.  What I meant is an Internet connection directly to MS
> via phone (modem).  I haven't used Windows in a while.  But I remember
> it was super-simple to connect to MSN (or whatever the MS ISP is
> called) via the modem.  In fact, it took some hunting to figure out how
> to connect to an ISP other than MS.

Of course.  That's just vendor preference/lock-in.

Many OEMs offer the same.

> I don't follow.  What is being scaled?

A vendor can provide more for less money if it sells the most volume.

> The point of me asking the question of what are the barriers is to
> identify what they are and then figure out how to address them.

I was just pointing out that Linux vendors _do_ offer a _lot_ in both
standard and available support options.

If you don't believe me, check out Gartner.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org