barriers to adopting Linux by newbies (was Xandros ... )

On Monday, March 8, 2004, at 01:09  PM, mike808@users.sourceforge.net
wrote:
> Speaking of, has anyone noticed *ANY* phone support offered for *ANY*
> distro?
> I mean that in a constructive way, since Steve brings it up as
> something notable
> that he finds lacking in Xandros.

Good point.  Difficulty with installation and not having phone support
could both be significant barriers to adoption by newbies.  MS solves
this in two ways:

  - Windows pre-installed on new hardware (WalMart and others offer
pre-installed linux)
  - phone connection directly to MS

What other barriers exist for adopting linux?

Regards,
- Robert