Fedora Core (was Xandros 2.0)

> Steve was asked to summarize his opinion on the list when he was given
> the copy of Xandros.

Then he shouldn't portray his extremely limited experience with it (i.e. his
misadventures trying to install it one time on unsupported hardware) as a
"general review" of the distro, nor make any comments on its "recommendability"
for other people. Much less complain about the cost when he didn't pay for it to
begin with.

If "free as in beer" was a requirement for him in a distro, then Xandros isn't
for him to begin with. If "works on my ThinkPad 600E" is a requirement for him
in a distro, then Xandros isn't for him to begin with.

The point is, his proclamation that he has experience with lots of distros on
lots of hardware (which should be enough to understand the limitations of his
single-data point "testing") and is providing a general reviews of a distro
(enough to claim "recommendations" worth something) is a bit misleading if he
doesn't say what his biases were up front.

Since it's clear that he wasn't interested in actually experiencing the major
features of the distro in the first place, his "recommendation" has no value.

So, in keeping with that theme, here's my review of Fedora:

I can't recommend Fedora, because unlike Xandros, it didn't have any kind of
Windows integration (samba) pre-installed and integrated in a
so-easy-your-mother-could-use-it way, nor Open Office, which I find easily
replaces Microsoft's $129 Office product. Fedora isn't even worth the time it
takes to download and burn your own CDs (for which you're supposed to use
Windows and then Roxio's CD Creator or Nero -- odd, having to use Windows to
make your own media for Linux, it's just *wrong*). Xandros, on the other hand,
merely required me to pop in the CD, boot up, and it worked side by side with
my Windows partition, resized it for me, and installed in four clicks and 15
minutes. The Fedora download is even more painful if your connection to the
internet is a modem. Xandros' CDs, including a CD of applications, once again
proves the adage of you get what you pay for in comparison to Fedora.

Mike/