Re: Xandros 2.0

Steve Riendl wrote:
> For 2 reasons. Being a distro that requires purchase, I shouldn't have
> to jump through hoops to get it to install.

Well, then, maybe you should check out the hardware compatability list
*before* you decide to install a distro. Just because you *want* a distro to
install perfectly, doesn't make it so. I don't see how not bothering to find
out that your TP600 is an unsupported platform is someone else's fault. Maybe
it installs just fine on your other computers? Did you try?

I don't have a TP600E, so your experience (and opinion of Xandros based on
that) are meaningless to me, and your recommendations really don't matter.

> I was primarily interested in the crossover media player anyway, but I
> have found that the MPlayer plug-in for Mozilla handles windows media
> just fine as well as most other formats.

That wasn't the case last December when it was released (the CX plugin).
The need for the Crossover Plugin is clearly diminishing.

> Since I don't have a need for any Microsoft "stuff" I'll pass. There is
> another who wants to see if his ATI dual head will operate correctly, so
> the disc's will not be unused.

Won't have much luck there either. You really should check out the forums to
see if your hardware is supported (or ask Xandros) before you install their
distro and then complain that it doesn't work on your hardware. I know my
Matrox dual-head worked out-the-box.

> My recommendation will continue to be Fedora Core though.

That's fine. Your hardware and your usage aren't Xandros' target market anyway.
Use what you like.

> This experience has done nothing to settle my concerns about Linux and
> the desktop.

I'm sure Xandros will be just crushed to hear that. They so very much wanted to
settle your concerns.

> I'm not impressed at all. That's rediculous, ...

Yes it is rediculous. Maybe the problem is your hardware choice? Many, many
other people have installed it on their computers just fine, without a hitch,
and have the same thing to say about their experience that you say about Fedora
Core.

Why are you installing on a *laptop* and making observations about a *desktop*
OS? Surely you can't be completely unaware that laptops and Linux are not
exactly the most compatible things. *ANY* distro on a laptop is a touchy thing
to begin with. Getting better, yes. But nowhere near the confidence you can have
installing it on a desktop system.

It's a bit unfair to base your "recommendation" on *one* datapoint, and on a
laptop at that.

Mike/