Re: Xandros 2.0

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 12:19, Robert Citek wrote:
> On Sunday, March 7, 2004, at 12:10  PM, Stephen D. Reindl wrote:
> > I hate to admit it but the answer is here ....
> >
> > http://www.archlug.org/kwiki/XandrosInstallation-Thinkpads
> >
> > Looks like the ThinkPad won't be getting Xandros put on the spare hard
> > drive.
>
> Why not?

For 2 reasons. Being a distro that requires purchase, I shouldn't have
to jump through hoops to get it to install.

Unless I can accomplish an install from NFS or CD it ain't happening.
The 600E did not come with an internal floppy, so I have no where to put
the floppy besides on my desk.

I was primarily interested in the crossover media player anyway, but I
have found that the MPlayer plug-in for Mozilla handles windows media
just fine as well as most other formats.

Since I don't have a need for any Microsoft "stuff" I'll pass. There is
another who wants to see if his ATI dual head will operate correctly, so
the disc's will not be unused.

I put the Fedora Core 1 CD in the drive and hit the power button, a few
clicks later I can walk away until it asks me for the second disc,
simple and straight forward. Too bad my first and only impression is a
bad one. I've heard great things about Xandros. My recommendation will
continue to be Fedora Core though.

This experience has done nothing to settle my concerns about Linux and
the desktop. Go out to the internet and download loadlin 1.6 or later
and borrow a windows 98 startup disk. Copy all the files to a cd that
you burn as bootable. Use that CD to boot and then put the Xandros
installation CD in and .........

I'm not impressed at all. That's rediculous, borrow a Windows 98 startup
disk indeed. It may be the best OS ever, but something about borrowing a
Windows anything to get a Linux distro to install, just isn't right.
I'll stop now.