Re: Virtual Desktops -- absolute geometry (legacy method)

On Sunday, February 29, 2004, at 05:37  PM, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 17:04, jlawler wrote:
>> Does anyone know if/how to force an application to load in a specific
>> virtual desktop?  I usually have 4 up and like to have specific apps
>> in
>> each one, and it would be most convenient to just toss em in xsession,
>> so they would load every time I log in...
>> I googled for a while and couldn't find anything useful.
>
> Depends on the window manager.
>
> Many legacy window managers use an "absolute geometry" from desktop 1
> the last.  So you can use the "-geometry" option in an X app to "move"
> its starting position.

You may be able to discover the correct -geometry by starting up an X
application, dragging it to the desired position, and then use xwininfo
to tell you.  The geometry setting is the last line in the xwininfo
output.

Let us know what you discover.

Regards,
- Robert