Re: Virtual Desktops -- absolute geometry (legacy method)

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 17:04, jlawler wrote:
> Does anyone know if/how to force an application to load in a specific
> virtual desktop?  I usually have 4 up and like to have specific apps in
> each one, and it would be most convenient to just toss em in xsession,
> so they would load every time I log in...
> I googled for a while and couldn't find anything useful.

Depends on the window manager.

Many legacy window managers use an "absolute geometry" from desktop 1 to
the last.  So you can use the "-geometry" option in an X app to "move"
its starting position.

E.g., if I have 4 desktops, each 1600x1200, I can launch the application
on desktop 3 by using the option:  "-geometry +3200+0"

Newer legacy window managers now call them "viewports" and "desktops"
are something different altogether.  So geometry might not work.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org