Re: Our experience with Microsoft database

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 14:57, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> While I sympthasize for you and your problems, that really isn't anything
> for which someone would use Access as a tool.
> I, for one, would never trust production systems to MS **ANYTHING**.

I'd like to agree with that, with one clarification.

"I, for one, would never trust production systems to MS **DEFAULTS**."

Unfortunately, sometimes changing the "defaults" of MS products for
reasons of data integrity or security results in the product _not_
working as designed.  MS Access, Outlook and most everything in MS
Office, especially with MS IE, qualifies under this "issue."

So sometimes the best solution is just not to deal with the TCO
nightmare of trying to modify MS solutions to work like _multi-user_ /
_mission_critical_ applications, instead of their "designed for
single-user, non-networked desktop" configuration.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org