Re: Dell Linux blog -- Bull! This is just unexplainable!

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 14:46, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 13:00, Jonathan wrote:
> > Doc, and others, as I recollect my experiences with buying The
> > preloaded Dell, I have to say that I think Bryan is right. Certainly
> > there is a powerful motive for Microsoft to do everything it can to
> > discredit Linux.
>
> The Dell issue was worse than that.  Microsoft wanted to prove that no
> one wanted to be pre-installed Linux systems, so they made them
> undesireable as possible.  It worked.
>
> Again, the statements on Microsoft and Dell _are_ gossip -- but one I
> happen to believe based on my sources.
>
> But the reality *IS* that this *DID* happen, with Dell selling the most
> *POORLY* configured PCs possible.  They did it because the #1 buyer were
> engineers looking for high-RAM/CPU PCs at the time.

All this is quite entertaining to a friendly Linux audience, but allow
me to play devil's advocate for a moment. Cam anyone making claims point
to any hard evidence in the way of testimony or exhibits in the DOJ
lawsuit against Microsoft? I seem to recall that Dell, HP, and several
other OEMs were deposed at great length about so-called secret
anti-competitive agreements that would have been negotiated between them
and Microsoft at about this time. I believe all those depositions are in
the public record.

Where's the beef?

--Doc