Re: Dell Linux blog -- People weren't buying them because the

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 12:30, Dwight Talbert wrote:

> Hi, as any tryed  the Linux system from www.Walmart.com or the
> computers that they sell with out any OS. So Dell may not want our
> money try someone else.

Dwight,

They're made by Microtel. Not a household name, but solid little boxes.
They come with everything you need except a monitor, an OS (you can buy
them with Lindows or SuSE installed), and apps.

A couple of years ago I bought one for my dad: Athlon XP 2000+, 256M,
40G, CD-RW, 10/100, 56K, sound, mid-tower, speakers, keyboard, and wheel
mouse for about $600 (w/tax,s&h). Before installing Win2K Pro on it
(which is what he wanted), I installed RH7 on it first. It was a
textbook install: everything was detected and everything ran perfectly.
Dad's been delighted with his Microtel, even though he's not brave
enough to switch to Linux.

Walmart Microtels are excellent machines for the individual consumer.
They're a niche product, but not something most large corporate IT shops
would ever consider buying because they don't offer bundled apps,
extended warranties, elaborate web-based support, etc.

--Doc