Re: What then must we do? -- it's a conspiracy against Windows

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 23:08, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> There has been quite a bit of talk lately about laptops and Linux. A few
> folks have gone so far as to suggested that Microsoft is behind some
> kind of conspiracy to eliminate Linux from laptops.
> Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm no apologist for Microsoft, yet I
> find it hard to believe that Steve Balmer -- crazy and devious as he may
> be -- would waste one minute of company time or one cent of company
> funds to force Linux out of the laptop market. There just isn't that
> much additional revenue that would result from such a strategy. Even in
> Taiwan.

Microsoft isn't "going out of its way" to prevent Linux from getting on
Laptops.  Just like Microsoft isn't "going out of its way" to prevent
Linux from getting into Best Buy.

Microsoft is simplying making laptops "Windows-only," just like it has
made Best Buy "Windows-only."

Understand it's about making _everything_ "Windows-only."  In many
cases, this means _no_compatibility_ with other solutions.

Furthermore, it's not just Microsoft.  Hardware vendors are interested
in _force_upgrades_.  It's basic economics.  Most consumers upgrade more
than just their computer every time they buy.

They get a new Windows version.  Most consumers (sadly) accept the fact
that they need new application software and peripherial hardware to go
with their new computer and Windows version.  And that's where the
"add-ons" at the superstore come from.

So vendors make cheap hardware because they know the consumer will often
upgrade the next time they buy a new system.  So they make their
hardware Windows-version specific.  This attitude has now moved to the
laptop/portable market as well.

So where does Linux fit in?  Well, hardware vendors will _not_ disclose
the technical information, otherwise other people might be able to
create drivers for different Windows versions.  And since Linux is such
a small marketing in their eyes (I know, that is not the reality), they
do not care about Linux.

They only care about Windows -- because that's where the money is --
both from the consumer _and_ Microsoft who funds a _lot_ of OEM R&D.

> If an illegal (and provable) Microsoft conspiracy against Linux were
> ever discovered, then SILUG members would have to individually and
> collectively decide how we should respond. We could rant and rave and
> whip ourselves into a self-righteous frenzy. Or we could take pen
> (keyboard?) in hand and compose appropriate letters to the Federal Trade
> Commission, the Department of Justice, to our respective members of
> Congress, and to the Illinois Attorney General's office demanding
> action.

It's basic economics (re-read above).

> Has this Linux-on-laptops issue (?) come anywhere near a rational action
> threshold? Of course not. But I suggest that we keep our pens and
> keyboards close by.

It's well _beyond_.

>From peripherials to, now, portables, it's a conspiracy to take
advantage of Windows consumers.  The problem is that most consumers just
assume that their old software and hardware is not compatible with newer
systems and Windows versions.

It's not a pure, anti-Linux thing at all.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- Engineer, Technologist, School Teacher
b.j.smith@ieee.org