Prospects for finding Linux compatible Laptops?

Is there any hope that certain Laptops will become more Linux friendly
in the future? Doc Savage has told me (IIRC) that IBM does not really
care that it's thinkpads work with Linux. That older ones do is perhaps
serendipitous. I understand that Lindows will begin selling Linux
laptops. Also WalMart now offers OS-less Laptops from Microtel. These
are Transmeta Crusoe notebooks.
 When I say Linux compatible I mean that everything works. Modem, built
in 802.11, PCMCIA bus and video card.

Bryan J. Smith
> On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 10:34, Mike Connor wrote:
> ** If you buy a laptop based on what you're seeing in the Linux laptop
> compatibility lists, you'll be fine.  True, it'll probably take a
driver
> patch here and there.

Microsoft is trying to make laptops as incompatible with Linux as
possible.  The PC OEMS -- or, more specifically, their Taiwanese
manufacturers -- are more than happy to accommodate this as Microsoft is
willing to pay them to do so.

Luckily Microsoft underestimated the number of Linux enthusiasts (let
alone paid Linux developers) out there willing to hack and reverse
engineer the specs.  But it's still a PITA.